Posts for tag: tooth sensitivity
What you need to know about tooth sensitivity from your Redlands dentist.
If you have tooth sensitivity, you are familiar with the sudden, sharp, “electrical shock” feeling from your teeth. You may avoid ice cream, hot coffee and anything else you think might set off your teeth. There are many causes of tooth sensitivity and there are some ways you and your dentist can lessen your symptoms. Don’t tackle tooth sensitivity alone. Get some help by calling Dr. Brenna Hamrick-Stotts in Redlands, CA. She can help ease your mind and your teeth.
You can have sensitive teeth from many causes including:
- Bleaching your teeth too much
- Grinding and clenching at night
- Exposed tooth roots caused by recessed gums
- Tooth abrasion from excessive brushing with a hard toothbrush
- Drinking highly acidic drinks, like lemonade and soda
- Sucking on lemons and chewing ice cubes
Dr. Hamrick-Stotts wants you to know a few things you can do to minimize tooth sensitivity. You can begin by:
- Making sure you always use a soft toothbrush
- Using a toothpaste for sensitive teeth, not whitening toothpaste
- Avoiding whitening products until you don’t feel tooth sensitivity
- Avoiding highly acidic foods and drinks especially sodas and citrus fruits
Your teeth can become sensitive when your tooth roots are exposed. Normally they are covered by bone and soft tissue, but as you age, your gums can recede, exposing your roots. The crowns of your teeth are covered with protective enamel, but the roots are not. They are much softer, and more porous, with microscopic openings called tubules open to the surface. To relieve tooth sensitivity, these tubules can be sealed up.
Dr. Hamrick Stotts can prescribe fluoride which helps to seal up the root surface. There are also desensitizing solutions which she can apply directly to your tooth surfaces in sensitive areas.
If you know you are grinding or clenching during the day or night, visit Dr. Hamrick-Stotts right away. She can make you a nightguard to reduce wear and tear on your teeth.
In severe cases of tooth sensitivity, Dr. Hamrick-Stotts may suggest placing a tooth colored filling over the root surface to permanently protect it. She can also perform gum grafting to replace gum tissue over exposed tooth roots.
You don’t have to live with tooth sensitivity when help is just a phone call away. It’s time to call Dr. Brenna Hamrick-Stotts in Redlands, CA. She can help relieve your pain so you can eat the foods you love. Get some help for tooth sensitivity by calling today!